Sunday, November 4, 2012

Allusion #3 Family Guy

************************Warning: Vulgar Language in Clip*****************************




The television show Family Guy can be viewed two different ways. I personally think it is hilarious. Others may find it offensive and crude. Whichever way you view it is fine, but there are several Allusions to the Bible throughout every season of this show's history.
One of my personal favorites is titled “The Worst Father”. It is the Abraham and Isaac storyline. This particular clip is an Allusion to the Bible because it is referencing the story in Genesis 22: 1-18. God told Abraham to sacrifice his only son, Isaac. So without question Abraham leads Isaac up the mountain to sacrifice him to God. Isaac is the faithful son caring the wood for the offering not realizing he is the offering. This clip is referring to what Isaac said after God provide the ram to be sacrificed and they head back down the mountain. Isaac said to Abraham in this episode: “You want to tell me what the fuck that was?” Now I will admit the language is vulgar. I personally do not see the point in using the “F” word, but I do find this clip hilarious. The Bible just skips over that part. Isaac would have had some questions after the ram sacrifice. But for the most part anyone who has grown up in church would have caught the reference to this particular story. I do not think the authors of Family Guy are trying to demean this text by any means. As I have personally discovered in my Bible Literature class there are many scriptures left out of the Sunday sermons. One famous example from class would be Lott and his daughters’ drunken nights.  I think the authors of this show reference thing that are easily identifiable to the general public.  Also someone who has no reference to the Bible might be interested enough after watching this clip to look the story up. There are positives and negatives to all crude humor. I literally could not stop laughing when I saw this for the first time. I knew instantly what it was referring to.  Please excuse the language and try to see the humor in this clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment